Tuesday, September 3, 2013

TT Hongli MG 1/100 Shin Musha Preview


After weeks of waiting, I finally got my hands on the Master Grade 1/100 Shin Musha Gundam by TT Hongli! I got this from a seller over at Sulit.com.ph and it is my first Master Grade and first bootleg gunpla kit. 

MG Shin Musha by TT Hongli. Check out that box-art.
This purchase was pretty much inspired by this review by Prime92. I've been exclusively building High Grade kits and have always wanted to try my hand at a Master Grade. The entry cost for building original Bandai MG kits is a little steep, and I was afraid was messing one up. 

I saw the review and did some research on prices (it ranges from 800 - 1000 PHP) - this is going to be my test-entry into Master Grades. 


In the pictures above, it simply dwarfs the box for the 1/144 High Grade RX-78GP02A Type MLRS which is my biggest kit (and box) to date;  the MG boxes are massive. 

As soon as the seller handed me the box, the only thing I can think of is: "This is going to be glorious (or the worst purchase I've made.. so far)". 

Runners jam-packed in plastic. I see black, gray, and.. a dull golden color. Thankfully they're not gold plated/shiny; getting those clean off the runners is a pain.  
TT Hongli sure likes to skimp on the plastic for their kits. High grade runners are usually packed into one plastic; for this MG, they packed all 16 runners into 4. 
Lots of red pieces, and some white. The Shin Musha is a predominantly red mobile suit after all. Closer inspection of the runner shows that the color is more or less accurate with the original. 
It will be my first time working with chrome pieces!
Opening the massive box reveals 4 sealed plastic containers (bags?); inspection of the included manual tells me there are 16 trees/runners all in all. That's at least 3 time more than what's included for High Grade kits. 

There's also one tiny sticker sheet; and based on other TT Hongli reviews, this is a good thing. Bootleg stickers hardly ever 'work' and tend to peel off rather easily anyway. This also confirms what other reviews mention - the color separation for this kit is crazy good. 

I won't be able to build the kit until the weekend, and from the looks of things I won't be able to finish it in one either. This kit is definitely a big jump from what I'm used to, and I am both excited terrified. 

As the title reads, this is only a preview; but I am looking forward to writing my review of the finished kit here. 

Build Progress:

0 comments: